[projectaon] Re: Last of the 28thos errata

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 14:04:06 +0100

We're so almost nearly there!! :-)

On 13/06/2014 00:13, Jonathan Blake wrote:
~~~~~
(er) 189: vampire Lord Sejanoz -> vampire lord Sejanoz [or, Vampire
Lord Sejanoz]
~~~~~

or "vampire, Lord Sejanoz"?

Fixed.

~~~~~
(er) 193: explodes the jagged branch -> the jagged branch explodes
~~~~~

Sounds a little weird, but it's OK as is. The verb "to explode" can
take an object.

Rejected.

~~~~~
(er) 200: [jc: If you possess the Kai Weapon 'Valiance', you will
benefit from its unique properties, as Brumalghasts are magical
creatures (as is stated in section 235).]
~~~~~

Players must pass through 235 to get to 200, so is it necessary to
prompt them here, or should we require readers to realize when their
Kai Weapon gets the extra bonus? I'm thinking of the other cases in
the books where this would be applicable.

I've added this to the text as "If you possess the Kai Weapon 'Valiance', you will benefit from its unique properties, as Brumalghasts are magical creatures." and added the justification in the errata entry. I think we've actually been pretty good at making these reminders consistent across the NO series, but if there are any we've missed, we can and should add the relevant reminder to the section.

~~~~~
(er) 212: the force of your attack at such close quarters explodes the
Guard Captain's chest armour -> ...crushes the... [Or, ...shatters
the...]
~~~~~

OK as is.

Rejected.

~~~~~
(er) 267: [jc: Should you also erase one Arrow in favour of the Arrow
of Atonement, if you have 6 Arrows in Quiver (like Zejar-dulaga)?]
~~~~~

If it's taking up a Special Item slot, it doesn't seem like it's being
carried in a Quiver, e.g. maybe strapped to the Backpack instead? In
the case of the Zejar-dulaga, the book tells players to carry it in
the Quiver and doesn't say it takes up a Special Item slot.

Rejected.

~~~~~
(er) 267: tyrant Lord of Bhanar -> tyrant lord of Bhanar [Sean Donald]
[SO: Or, Tyrant-Lord of Bhanar
~~~~~

The XML already has "tyrant lord" without an errata entry. Nowhere
else in the books do we find "tyrant of Bhanar" or "Lord of Bhanar",
so they don't seem like titles that need to be capitalized. I lean
toward "tyrant lord of Bhanar".

Can't remember why that was changed. Added errata entry. Fixed.

~~~~~
(er) 269: Kai Mastery -> mastery
~~~~~

This is pretty standard usage in the books. OK as is.

Can't imagine why I missed this one; we've already rejected this change across the books. Rejected.

~~~~~
(er) 275: Table and add 2 (0 = 10). If you possess Deliverance, you
may deduct 2 from your total. -> Table (0 = 10) and add 2 if you do
not possess Deliverance.
~~~~~

That is quite a bit less confusing. I'm OK making this change.

Fixed.

~~~~~
(er) 286: after 3,000 years -> after three thousand years [jc: maybe better]
~~~~~

Is this an internationalization issue? The books use the comma as the
digit group delimiter fairly regularly, so this would require a few
changes across the books. I lean toward leaving this as is since this
is the conventional notation in English. Thoughts?

Rejected.

I did a quick 'n' dirty search for "000" across the xml files and aside from year-dates, the only non-comma-delimited instance was in Book 10 Section 65 ("1000 miles"). I took the liberty of changing this in Book 10 to "1,000 miles".

~~~~~
(ft) 172, 225: [lm: Ought there to be a footnote here clarifying that
you may not use your Kai Weapon in this combat. 'Dropping' the weapon
might be interpreted as dropping it by your side or within reaching
distance, or also to clarify whether or not you may draw another
Weapon in the seconds that it takes the robber to reach you.]
[Add: "You must fight this battle unarmed (i.e. with no CS bonuses
from your Kai Weapon)."]
[jc: You cannot use your Kai Weapon in this combat (see section 139).]
~~~~~

My suggestion: "You must fight this combat without your Kai Weapon.
(cf. Section 139)"

Added this to the main section text as errata: "You must fight this combat without your Kai Weapon." and added the justification in the errata entry.

~~~~~
(ft) 265: Does this affect the number of Arrow you can carry in your Quiver?
~~~~~

I think this was meant to be 267?

Merged with the (er) issue in 267 above. Rejected.

Committed changes to svn. Sorted! Also updated the test editions:

Simple:
  <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-simple/lw/28thos.htm>

Less Simple:
  <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/28thos/title.htm>