[projectaon] Re: 21votm errata

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:03:23 +0000

Jonathan Blake wrote:
(er)    159:    few miles to the north -> few miles to the south (cf. ref. 179)
[LM]

I don't follow the justification for this change.

It's a bit tricky to explain, but . . . If the Simoom is to the north of Bavari
(Section 159) it is
incorrect to then say that you "walk along the caravan route _to_ _Hikas_"
(Section 179), since Hikas
is south from Bavari.

(er)    159:    Great Masourn mountain range -> ? Great Masourn Mountain Range
[LM]

I'm wondering how this is labeled on the map. (I don't have access to it at the
moment.) I note
that we've made some changes to other sections to make these the Great Masourn
Mountains rather
than the Great Masourn mountains.

It isn't labelled on the map, nor is it labelled on the map for Castle Death.
As a judgement call,
therefore, Great Masourn Mountains seems in keeping with the usual standard in
PA editions. On the
other hand, there's no precedent in any of the books for 'Blah Mountain Range'.

Hmm. For some strange reason I received Ben's response before I received Jon's
original comments!

(er)    165:    his crew attempt -> his crew attempts [LM]

agreed

Benjamin I Krefetz wrote:
From the context of the section, it doesn't sound like the crew members are
acting as one, so I
think it's a reasonable shortening of "his crew members attempt" and should be
left as is.

I agree with Jon on this one.

(er)    177:    one set are human prints, but the other set are -> one set is
human prints, but the
other set is [LM]

agreed

Benjamin I Krefetz wrote:
Similar issue.  We have a collective noun specifically identified with a
plural, so I think it
should be left as is.  (As opposed to something like "one set is deeply
embedded into the ground,
but the other set is superficial", where "is" leads into a descriptor rather
than an identifier
and would therefore be correct.)

As it stands, the revision looks and sounds very strange; but the original
doesn't look/sound
correct either. :-\

(er)    179:    A tangle of metal pipes and brass cylinders hang -> A tangle of
metal pipes and brass
cylinders hangs [LM]

agreed

Benjamin I Krefetz wrote:
Again, probably okay as-is since the tangle is directly identified with a
plural, but I'd be
interested to hear Simon's take on this one, since he's actually British  :)

I would err more towards Jon's revision than the original text, but I couldn't
say for sure why!
Others, including non-native English speakers, might be able to expain whether
this should be
changed or not better than I.

Benjamin I Krefetz wrote:
On another subject, I noticed the map isn't posted (under the link "The Central
Route Between
Sommerlund and Dessi").  Am I correct in remembering that the map was not drawn
by Trevor Newton
and we should therefore be licensed to publish it?  Or did he do the map for
this one book?  On a

I think we should definitely use the map even if we are not using Trevor
Newton's other
illustrations. I would assume he illustrated it, since AFAIK Jon doesn't have a
colour image of it
from Brian Williams' collection. It does look suspiciously like Brian Williams'
style, though.

related note, on the Table of Illustrations, we list the map link as "Central
Southern
Magnamund", which should be changed since Dessi and Vassagonia are in Northern
Magnamund.

Fixed!