Re: Drupal and Microsoft CMS Options?

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 13:28:31 -0700

Rick,
I personally use Linode (http://linode.com). It saves you from having to deal with shared hosting and is much, much cheaper than dedicated hosting. If you like, contact me off list and we can talk about setup or whatever, I can get a lamp setup running fairly quickly.

On 12/11/2010 12:59 PM, RicksPlace wrote:
Thanks for all the Info: OK, so to initially avoid loading up apache, php and MySql on my local machine I guess I could do like Jamal and do some server side development with a good Drupal Host. Now, I am starting to look at them but but have the same questions as per any provider. Is there one that is especially screen reader friendly to develop in? That is whose control panels and all that jazz will be accessible and who might be familiar with dealing with a blind client? Any suggestions of hosts to look at? I find that the help is a good thing for an inexperienced nube like me as well.
Thanks:
Rick USA

    *From:*programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        *From:*programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        On 2010-12-11, at 5:46 AM, RicksPlace wrote:

        Hi Katherine: Well, don't give up on MS just yet. I have just
        started looking at how to develop Sharepoint solutions in
        Visual Studio and it sounds pretty clean and powerful as an
        integrated approach. I know I tried building a Local Website
        using Web Parts in VB.net <http://VB.net> 2008 and found the
        experience not screen reader friendly. Or, at least, not as
        friendly as using standard UI Controls in a regular old
        Website. When Windoweyes 8 comes out I might take a look at
        Vb.net <http://Vb.net> 2010 to see what, if any, Sharepoint
        tools are included in the package and how accessible they are.
        In the meantime I have seen that various U.S. Government
        agencies and even the White House are supposedly using Drupal
        according to one Drupal Website Webpage. That means that it
        must be accessible and quite configurable since I would never
        have guessed those websites were CMS sites. They just look and
        perform like regular websites unlike many of the Drupal and
        other CMS sites I have visited recently. So, it seems Drupal
        can be used effectively if one knows what they are doing. My
        only reason for not jumping on it is that I like to develop on
        my local machine and to do that with Drupal I would have to
        either install something like xampp or whatever to get a
        simulated Linux Environment, set up a Duel Boot software disc
        somehow or implement the Microsoft IIS based Web Platform
        which is a huge mess to fix if anything goes wrong with any of
        it's many,, many modules installed. In fact, one problem would
        likely be port conflicts between my current Sql Server and the
        MySql server which would be automatically installed. Anyway, I
        don't like headaches so am just holding off on playing with
        Drupal even though it sounds pretty nice I am of the KISS
        school of thought - Keep It Simple Sir! (Note: you can
        substitute any word starting with "S" for the word "Sir" in
        the above phrase - grin. Oh Ya, I am not so sure that the
        thousand or so apps created by third party folks are designed
        to be accessible to screen readers so that is always a concern
        as well when working with an Open Source Project with no
        Accessibility standards for third party software plugs or apps.
        Well, that's all I have this morning from
        chilly Farmington Michigan and I am off to do a little more
        reading on Visual Studio 2010 and Sharepoint 2010 with any
        related offerings like Office or other modules and compare the
        development and maintenance process to that of Drupal. Right
        now I am not sure which way to fall - headaches with Linux on
        a Windows machine or working in Visual Studio and withthe
        built-in Sharepoint and other tools and the learning curve of
        WPF and Silverlight if necessary. I really will tend twoard
        the one that is the most stable over the next 5 years or so,
        has the easiest procedures for working with sites and offers
        the greatest flexibility. Oh ya, also add in a weighted factor
        based on the learning curve. I would like to work in the Linux
        environment mainly because so many of the old timers on this
        list work in it but I have had my doubts about how productive
        I might be in that environment compared to a comprehensive
        integrated IDE.
        I must wait  for  Windoweyes 8 to see how accessible vb.net
        <http://vb.net> 2010 or other VS products will be with it
        since they use the new UIA Accessibility hooks.
        Later Katherine and don't give up on MS Stuff just pick the
        right tool for the job - that is what the qualified
        professionals do:
        Rick USA
        ----- Original Message ----- From: "Katherine Moss"
        <plymouthroamer285@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:plymouthroamer285@xxxxxxxxx>>