[procps] Re: cgroup support for new top

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 13:37:06 -0500

On Apr 13, 2011, at 8:35 AM, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:

> The top of the git repository of newtop does not respect
> the personal ~/.toprc and it is not possible to run it
> a batch job.  It seems also miss support for oom_score
> and oom_adjustment.  But it does not crash anymore within
> small windows least I was not able to do so. Also the
> overflow in win_names() is fixed.

Werner,

I'm not sure we're starting off on the right foot.

The newtop branch that Craig created was against procps, not wfinks-procps.
Craig is about to commit some changes that will also embrace your library hacks
via a #define.

What you claim is fixed was never broken in this newtop.

This newtop supports hotplugged memory.

This newtop supports hotplugged cpus, but your library's sysinfo.c does not.
Why you transformed smp_num_cpus into a function only to return an invariant
value is a mystery.

This newtop supports hundreds of cpus and terabytes of memory.  And it does so
without a useless left shift as in your top.

And yes, this vastly more capable newtop will not respect a old .toprc file.
It's a small price to pay for the improvements.  Still, by enabling a #define,
one can alert the user of that rejection rather than silently defaulting.  Your
current top doesn't even offer that option.

Jim