[procps] Re: cgroup support for new top

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 04:14:22 -0500

On Apr 13, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Jan Görig wrote:

> Hi,
> thank you for patch review.

> For now parse_cgroup should stay in top and I will move it to libproc when
> you merge final version of this patch.
>
> What do you think about newtop readiness for wider usage? I'd like to include
> it in Fedora as soon as possible.

Hi Jan,

Craig is just about to commit my latest patchset and it will break "our" cgroup
patch.  But don't worry, I've got a replacement ready to go when that happens.
Should I send it directly to you or would this mailing list be better?

As for top readiness, he'll be good to go with Craig's commit.  It's actually
more robust than the current version.  However, be sure to review the
README.top for other user interface changes that I hope won't cause you and
Fedora problems.

As a preview, below is the suggested commit message I sent to Craig.

Regards,
Jim

several bug fixes, enhancements and formatting changes (plus SUSE support)

The documentation portion of the patch addresses the following:
 README.top
   . corrected a minor typo
   . updated to reflect current patch level
 top.1
   . fixed potentially misinterpreted Me/ME strings
   . added '.Bd -literal' directives for indented fixed-width font
   . some comments changed from \# to .\" to avoid man2html problems

The source portion of the patch addresses the following:
 Buglets
   . header/task output length now consistent
   . fixed 2 obscure horizontal scrolling bugs
   . fixed potential bug regarding 'help' and 'current' window
   . messages and prompts are now also sensitive to terminal width
   . normalized buffer names/sizes now accommodate any SCREENMAX changes
 Features
   . made %CPU and 'i' mode handling more efficient
   . for input the Up/Dn arrows keys act as alternatives to Ins/Del keys
   . an optional USE_X_COLHDR define eliminates ALL 'x' toggle overhead
   . an optional ZAP_SUSEONLY define was added for Werner's modifications
 Cosmetic
   . defines and format for optional end-of-job reports standardized