[procps] Re: cgroup support for new top

  • From: "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@xxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:35:13 +0200

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 03:13:13PM +0200, Werner Fink wrote:

> Hmmm ... just test top of the current git repository and
> I'm missing a lot of things like:
>
>  * Support for extrem huge systems with a lot of cpus
>    that is memory with more than 10 or 100 or 1000 gig
>    beside this the format is to small for the numbers
>    of cpus (%2u should be %3u)
>  * There is no batch support (in batch mode please no
>    handler for SIGHUP)
>  * There seems to be no hotplug support for cpus
>  * There is no support for oom_score and oom_adjustment
>  * top does crash in small terminals:
>
>    *** glibc detected *** ./top: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0805b7e0 ***
>    ======= Backtrace: =========
>    /lib/libc.so.6[0xb7697654]
>    /lib/libc.so.6[0xb7699c8a]
>    /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_malloc+0x9c)[0xb769b88c]
>    /lib/libc.so.6(qsort_r+0x7c)[0xb7657dbc]
>    /lib/libc.so.6(qsort+0x2e)[0xb765806e]
>    ./top[0x804c6f4]
>
>  * top does crash in case of a exterm large winname
>
> all those change I've submitted in my clone of the git repository.
> Please consider to add those changes.
>
> OK most of our openSUSE users will not be hurt by those changes
> but for the SuSE Linux Enterprise servers those changes are
> indispensable ... think on a system with let's say 500 cpus and
> for each cpu 2gigs of ram (that is not a joke as I've a bug
> report for such type of systems) and a running top running within
> screen which it selfs runs in an xterm to monitor such a system
> over a serial line, and now press 1 to toggle smp view  ;)

The top of the git repository of newtop does not respect
the personal ~/.toprc and it is not possible to run it
a batch job.  It seems also miss support for oom_score
and oom_adjustment.  But it does not crash anymore within
small windows least I was not able to do so. Also the
overflow in win_names() is fixed.

   Werner