[procps] Re: cgroup support for new top

  • From: Jan Görig <jgorig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:47:04 +0200

Hi,
thank you for patch review.

I was thinking about cgroup interface and it will be probably better
to not change current behaviour. The libproc currently exports cgroups
as array and application needs to format it itself. This causes redundant
formatting in top and ps. But this solution is more flexible than string
exporting so I recommend to not change this.

For now parse_cgroup should stay in top and I will move it to libproc when
you merge final version of this patch.

What do you think about newtop readiness for wider usage? I'd like to include
it in Fedora as soon as possible.

     Jan

Dne 8.4.2011 17:44, Jim Warner napsal(a):

On Apr 7, 2011, at 4:46 AM, Jan Görig wrote:
Jim, could you review this patch, please? Thanks.

Hi Jan,

I never imagined there would be need for a 2nd variable width column.  Your
approach in sharing maxcmdln made sense but there was a problem with the
altered endpflg scrolling logic.  Also, I have this character flaw wherein I
hate to proliferate loops.

In addressing those issues I decided to go whole hog and update some
identifiers and comments.  The attached patch is offered as an alternative
against a clean newtop.

When the libproc cgroup interface has been optimized and finalized, I'd be
happy to clean up top.

By the way, Craig is sitting on some patches to newtop and I've got one more
set in the pipeline. I'm trying to build a fire under our Sydney associate.

Regards,
Jim