Re: [PCWorks] Hidden files and folders

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 02:54:37 -0500

I know, I understood that after I sent it.  Lack of sleep seems
to.........dim one's comprehension.  And I'm still running on
no sleep.

I thought I already covered your question(s) in my last post:
-------------------
You can back up what you did (or anything in the registry of
course) by just right clicking the key and "Export".  The
default save is the selected key/branch.  Be sure you choose
that because if you don't, the entire registry will be
exported.  What you export will be a registry file with the
.reg extension.  That's the easiest way, because if you just
copy/paste the key into Notepad you'll just get the key and not
the info in the right pane.  (Of course to do that you first
have to right click > Rename > copy/paste).

The .reg file saved may have a lot of data in it you don't
need.  For example if the key has a lot of data at the right
pane, and all you changed or want to save is one line of it,
all the rest of it can be deleted, but you have to be careful
you delete the right things and keep the right things.

It doesn't matter what you name a reg file.

If you look at reg files a lot, you should do what I do and
have the .reg extension set to be opened with Notepad (in my
case it's Metapad).  That way you just click once and can see
the file, compared to having to right click and "Open with"
then finding Notepad in the list, clicking it, and then viewing
it.  If I want to import a reg file I right click and open it
with the Registry Editor.
-----------------

If that doesn't answer, let me know and I'll try again.
Copying into Notepad would take forever if it's a key with more
than a couple values at the right pane area.  What you "Copy"
is only just what you're clicking, it does not copy the key
data at the right pane.  Just do the "Export" method, it's
instantaneous.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner