Re: [PCWorks] Hidden files and folders.

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 06:56:10 -0500

I'm not sure what you mean by "(it's an editor not to be
belittled) that is used for html coding, for making bat files,
and as you are indicating, for backing up reg files; and maybe
for many other uses."  Notepad is just a text editor, but sure,
it can be used for other things as long as it's ASCII text in
the file.  (Like .htm*, .vbs, .bat, .reg, .mht, and similar).
ANYTHING can be "opened" in it, and just looked at, but not
everything can be edited by it, files with non-ASCII characters
cannot be edited with it.  Open a .exe file with it and you'll
see what I mean.

The only way you can change extensions is to uncheck the box
"Hide file extensions for known file types" or something like
that, under Folder Options.  So if you want to create a .bat
batch file, after you have all the syntax correct in Notepad,
the .txt would be changed to .bat .  Without extensions Windows
would have no idea what to do, it wouldn't even work or load.
It's like picking up the phone and trying to call someone
without ever dialing, compared to picking up the phone and then
dialing the number.

You can back up what you did (or anything in the registry of
course) by just right clicking the key and "Export".  The
default save is the selected key/branch.  Be sure you choose
that because if you don't, the entire registry will be
exported.  What you export will be a registry file with the
.reg extension.  That's the easiest way, because if you just
copy/paste the key into Notepad you'll just get the key and not
the info in the right pane.  (Of course to do that you first
have to right click > Rename > copy/paste).

The .reg file saved may have a lot of data in it you don't
need.  For example if the key has a lot of data at the right
pane, and all you changed or want to save is one line of it,
all the rest of it can be deleted, but you have to be careful
you delete the right things and keep the right things.

It doesn't matter what you name a reg file.

If you look at reg files a lot, you should do what I do and
have the .reg extension set to be opened with Notepad (in my
case it's Metapad).  That way you just click once and can see
the file, compared to having to right click and "Open with"
then finding Notepad in the list, clicking it, and then viewing
it.  If I want to import a reg file I right click and open it
with the Registry Editor.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner