Re: [PCWorks] Hidden files and folders.

  • From: "Harold B." <harold7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:50:26 -0400

RESPONSE ... The only change that made a difference was following your
second suggestion. Note the following:
  1.. The "CheckedValue" key is a REG_DWORD key. Not knowing too much about
the registry, I guess the "REG_" is just an name appendage and it is still
the "DWORD" that you mentioned.
  2.. I did change the value to 1 and it is much better now. Only the
"Hidden files and folders" now works in reverse. This is all right with me;
at least I can get to the hidden files and folders
TWO ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS
1. Now is there a way to reverse the selections so that "Show" actually
shows and "Hide" actually hides?
2. Something that interests me even more is how you, Clint, and many others
in this PCWorks forum (and they know who they are), how do you know all
these intricacies about the computer? The registry to me is a deep mystery;
how does one know to go to those areas and make those changes? What I'm
really asking is, what did YOU do (what did you google etc.) to know to go
to that particular part of the registry and make those particular
changes? --- Harold
.
> From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin"
> Try any of these and see if they help:

FIRST METHOD
Go to this key in the registry:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
> In the right hand area, double click "hidden" and change the value to 1.

SECOND METHOD
> 1.  Find the key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
> 2.  Look at the "CheckedValue" key.  This should be a DWORD key.  If it
> isn't, delete the key.
> 3.  Create a new key called "CheckedValue" as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a
> value of 1.
> 4.  The "Show hidden files & folders" check box should now work normally.
> 5.  You may have to create if it's not there, or change if it is there,
> "DefaultValue" to 2.

THIRD METHOD