Re: [PCWorks] Hidden files and folders

  • From: "Harold B." <harold7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:46:23 -0400

Clint, by "Notepad is not to be belittled" I didn't mean you belittled
anything. I meant it can be used in many ways, ways like making a html page,
or making batch files (which I still haven't learned how to do; maybe
becasuse I'm not sure how I would use them), or like what I think you are
saying in your paragraph below, for backing up an entire set of values like
like the eight values you offered below (which helped correct my original
problem).

I know one can export keys or even use Erunt to backup the entire registry,
but if I wanted to keep the correct values like those you see below, I was
wondering if the way to do it was (see my "correct me if I am wrong"
paragraph below). Would that be the way to do it that I thought you were
describing in your "You can make backup of your kyes" paragraph below.

Btw, you use Metapad, I think Hugh uses 1st Page, and I still use Notepad+
... all improvements (and there are many more) over the original Windows
Notepad)

>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN]
>> "RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
>> "Text"="@shell32.dll,-30501"
>> "Type"="radio"
>> "CheckedValue"=dword:00000002
>> "ValueName"="Hidden"
>> "DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
>> "HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
>> "HelpID"="shell.hlp#51104"

My question is, is the following another way of backing up a series of
values ending with a reg file that one can click if needed and correcting an
error in any one of those values? I'm suggesting this only because you said
it is possible by following a path to "end up going to the wrong main key,
and editing the wrong sub-key. You can't mess up a reg file, mess with it
all you want, THEN when you're sure it's correct it can then be imported,
and to the correct location. They are also a big time-saver. I have loads of
reg files saved for various fixes and tweaks, and when I install a new main
HD or reformat, I can click away at the files instead of having to manually
search for each key and manually make the changes."