Re: [PCWorks] Burning CDs

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:04:36 -0600

Remember now I didn't say that exactly.  I said "There's also
the ***possibility*** that Nero and other burning software may
not be compatible", because I have never used it.  That's just
a possibility.

You won't get any message about any session.  That only happens
(and the option) to the person that records the disks.

You're going to have to wait for more info from someone that
uses both Nero AND other burning apps so they can tell you
about compatibility and how Nero works.  Like I said, the only
thing I know for sure........ (mentioned below).  I'm only
guessing that Nero has the similar 3 options of "ejecting" and
"closing" a disk like Roxio has, it rather has to I would
think.  Eject a disk so more data can be added later; eject the
disk so nothing can be written to it ever again; and there's an
option for one or both of those options for the disk to be
readable on ANY PC even without burning software (takes longer
to close the session and eject), or for the disk to be readable
on "most" PC's that have some kind of burning software or UDF
installed.  So **IF** in the event that Nero IS compatible with
other burning software, you should tell them to not permanently
close out the disks, so that you can add more data to them.

No, XP's burning software was just a suggestion to see if it
possibly could do anything with the CD's.   It's rather limited
in features--I don't THINK you can actually copy a
disk-to-disk, but what I know for sure is you cannot delete
files from a disk it created like you can with Roxio, (and
again, the space is only reclaimed with RW media.  With R media
the folder's or file's icon is just deleted).  It has its uses
though, no software is needed, nothing has to be running in the
background other than IMAPI Service which can be kept on
Manual.  I sometimes use it if I just have to hurriedly put
drivers on a CD for a customer's OEM hardware.

>About the second part of my question - is
>there a way to read data on my computer
>when it is not readable under Windows?

You're going to have to provide more info than that. ;-)  What
kind of data, on what kind of media, where is the data located?
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com