-=PCTechTalk=- Re: outlook express question

  • From: "Cris" <cris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:53:31 -0400

from Cris:
What is a 'good' anti-virus program?
I had Norton on my old computer.
I know there are a lot of people who don't like Norton, but
it is a good program.
One of it's drawbacks is that it ususally only updates
once/week, unless you go to their web site to update it.
Potentially, new worms could  be created every day, and the
anti-virus might not have the protection against them. They
are also getting more sophisticated. Also, if a spam happens
to open in the preview pane, it can send messages back home.
Or, you could read it in plain text. But I don't read my
mail in plain text.

I would rather be safe than sorry. I also had never been
infected this way, but I switched as another safety net. It
took me a little while to get used to it, but now, I
wouldn't go back to using the preview pane.

http://www.sawtoothdistortion.com/Articles/HidePreviewPaneinOutlookE.html

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/beware-preview-pane.html

there are numerous other articles explaining why it is
safest to turn it off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By Al Fasoldt
Copyright © 2002, Al Fasoldt
Copyright © 2002, The Post-Standard

   I frustrated a lot of Windows users when I goofed when
trying to explain how to turn off the Outlook Express
message preview pane, which displays entire messages without
requiring you to open them separately. Thanks to a couple of
helpful readers, here's a much better explanation. Next week
I'll cover the same function in Outlook, the "other" mail
program from Microsoft.
   When Outlook Express was originally designed, viruses and
worms weren't the big problem they are today. Users probably
wanted to turn off the preview pane so they could see a lot
of mail all at once. But today the big problem is the
script-based virus or worm that sneaks into Windows
computers when mail is opened. (This is not related to the
danger of attachments.