-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start Up problems

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 00:12:33 -0400

Patti,
    Consider buying a quality UPS for your computer equipment.  A UPS is an
Uninterruptable Power Supply and it sits betwen the wall and your computer
devices.  They are designed to store power within an enclosed battery pack.
When not being run at full steam, it recharges these batteries so that
they're ready for the unexpected.  If you suffer a power outage, brown out
(less power than usual from the power company) or other type of drop in
power, the batteries kick in instantly to prevent damage to the system.  You
then have a certain amount of time (depends on the model) to save your work
and shut down the system normally, without incident.  In addition, these
units provide better surge protection than any standard surge protector
strip because they are equipped with much more sophisticated protection
circuitry.  They are a GREAT investment and pretty much essential for anyone
living in areas with unpredictable weather.

Peace,
Gman