-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start Up problems

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:23:25 -0400

Patti,
    Frequent drive corruption is a sign of several things, but the fact that
it's happened over more than one computer points to a possible power issue.

    In a typical home, all of the outlets and built-in electrical devices
are routed from a single circuit breaker in the main power box.  This means
that everything in the room is sharing the same source of power.  Take a
quick inventory of all of the powered devices in the room where your
computer is.  Is there an air conditioner and/or a refrigerator in that
room?  Running your computer alongside either one of those is an absolute
no-no because their compressors cause rather large spikes through the power
lines every time they turn on & off.  They can affect your computer's power
no matter where they are in the house, but if they're in the same room, it's
much worse.

    If you're running a lot of other things at the same time (TV, lights,
fans, stereo), the net effect is that there's simply not enough power
available to run everything, so each items gets less than it needs.  It's
not a problem for lights which will just burn a little less bright than
usual.  But a computer will suffer tremendously as it tries to figure out
whether each bit flying by is a 1 or a 0 with less 'headroom' than it needs.

Peace,
Gman