-=PCTechTalk=- Start Up problems

  • From: "Patti or Ken" <patken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:32:14 +1200

Good morning
my PC with XP has given up on me again! I've only had this new one for a few
months and already it has had WinXP fully re-installed 3 times. Each time after
a week or so it starts mis-behaving again! It's been hiccupping all week,
sometimes no bother with loading up and other times it does a chkdsk and
"fixes" the problem.
Today I can't start up at all, I can get into the set-up, but that's no good to
me as I don't know what to do!
I can't get into safe mode, I've tried many times with F8 when I switched on
but it doesn't work!
After the first screen and before the welcome screen the screen goes
blank....not blue just blank black!
The hard drive is not working.

I goggled (on the laptop) start-up problems with XP but, because I can't get
safe mode I can't go any further.

I am waiting to get hold of my SIL to see if he can talk me through a solution,
but I thought I would ask here too.
He tells me each time that it is me downloading "rubbish" but I don't believe
that..
I do download from game sites (Big Fish and Shockwave) and audios from
MP3Rocket, but these are trusted sites that I've used for many years without
all the trouble I'm having now. I scan the downloaded files.

Patti