-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Restore Point

  • From: "DSWabc" <DSWabc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:01:33 -0500

Or, you could just run Stephen(?) Gould's CleanUp 4.0.  It will remove many
unnecesary files and, if you fail to configure it correctly, a few desirable
files.

Check the groups archives for discussions on this utility.  If I recall
correctly, the only real problem was filenames with a tilde (~) at the
beginning or the end.  Some program does that with some of its files and
they could be deleted if you don't exclude their directory or disable
checking for filenames with a tilde.

There may have been other filename deletion problems but I don't remember.
I don't disable anything.  CleanUp deletes thousands and thousands of files
every time I run it.  Over 1GB of space recovered on one occasion.

When you run it the first time it will suggest you run the demo mode.  This
will do a real scan and allow you to see every file it would have deleted if
run in normal.  It will not delete anything.  You will still need to run in
Normal mode.

You can also tell it to not empty the recycle bin.  Then if you miss a file
over the next few days you can retrieve it.  After a few days empty the
recycle bin to recover that space.

Then after running Chkdsk I would also run defrag.

For Outlook Express:

NOTE:  Before proceeding go offline and _stay_ offline until you finish all
of the following steps.  Sending or receiving messages while copying or
deleting dbx files or compacting folders could cause considerable PANIC.

NOTE:  Read all of my instructions before acting on any of them.  It might
be useful to read them twice.  Ask questions before you begin.

Go through all of your folders and delete what you don't want and archive
most of the rest. This will make it easier and faster for OE to compact your
folders.  See earlier messages from the last few days about OE for more
details.  Try compacting again. If you still have problems....

Locate your message store:  Search for *.dbx, then open the containing
folder for any one of the results.  This _should_ put you in a folder where
_all_ of the search results were found.  If any of your search results are
missing from this folder, you have dbx files in more than one location and
you need to figure out why before you proceed.

The message store can also be found at Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store
Folder.  Copy and paste the address there into Windows Explorer address bar.
Cancel out of there.  Do not select Change or OK.

Return to OE, create temp folders as necessary and move all the messages you
want to keep out of your very large folders.  Look at the dbx file size
rather than the number of messages to determine what is "large".

Close OE.  Navigate to the message store and COPY (not move) every file to a
safe location.  Do not copy, move, delete or do anything else with any dbx
file while Outlook Express is open.  Repeat:  Do not copy, move, delete or
do anything else with any dbx file while Outlook Express is open.

Go to your store folder and delete the dbx file that corresponds to the
folders you just moved the messages out of.  Don't forget to delete the
Deleted Items file also.

Open OE.  Stay or go offline.  Navigate to the top of your folder tree
(Outlook Express).  Compact all folders.

Move messages from temp folders to desired folders and delete (or keep for
next time) the temp folders.

Did you lose a critical folder or message?  Don't Panic.  You backed up
everything.  Simply copy back all files from the safe location to the store
and overwrite existing files.  This will put you back to where you were
before you deleted any dbx files.

Don