-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Outlook Express Question

  • From: "DSWabc" <dswabc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:51:16 -0500

Just some thoughts.  Please feel free to punch holes in them.  My lack of
programming skills is STILL not helping so I expect to bleed at least a
little bit from the punches.  :-))

If the disk surface has a bad spot or a series of bad spots that cause OE to
read data incorrectly it seems unlikely to me that the bad space(s) would be
so perfectly located as to impact only the "use this account to send from"
address (and nothing else) and only in consecutive messages.  Especially
since the file is very likely fragmented and message one is here and message
two may be  way over there.  It would be more likely if the dbx file is
structured such that line 1 of the headers of all messages are placed first,
then line 2, 3 and so on.  That seems unlikely though since some headers are
very short and some are very long and I think a structure such as that would
require a relational database rather than a standard database and would
seriously slow down the process of displaying the message.

If the dbx file itself is corrupted, it would also seem unlikely that the
points of corruption would be as perfectly placed as described above.

If either of these situations existed I would think that consecutive data
within a specific message or a series of entire messages would be having
problems. For example it would start at a random point in a given message
and stop at a random point in another message and the messages impacted may
or may not be consecutive depending on the degree of file fragmentation.

Also, how would corruption that impacts a specific folder in a specific
account pull up an entirely different account's email address when there is
no reference to that address in the message headers?   Unless, two different
message folders are corrupted and data was switched between them.  But
wouldn't that put the incorrect data in the headers?  And cause problems in
both folders?  Or could the corruption tell OE to look in one message/folder
for the message being replied to but look in a different message/folder (or
to a different account) to determine the account to send the reply from?

From watching OE compact folders on my system it appears that the process
simply reads the records (messages) that have not been marked for deletion
into a temp file or buffer of some sort then deletes the file and re-writes
the stored records back to a file with the same name.

Compacting the folder, might fix the problem by changing the dbx file size
and relocating the affected messages away from a bad spot on the drive.  It
might also just move the problem to a different series of messages in the
same folder.   I don't think it could actually repair any corruption in the
data stored in the records though it might fix any damage in the physical
structure of the dbx file since it is in fact creating a new file for the
data.

If my thinking has any basis to it, what is left to look at is (in no
particular order or priority):

--Human error ( though I can't think of what it might be)
--An address book in somebody's email client
--Corruption in the process that selects the account to send a message from.
If this is the case why is it only one folder and a select few consecutive
messages and only lasts a little while then goes away?

<couple of hours later...>

I just found this article at Tom Koch's site but it appears to be limited to
News accounts and also to be fixed with SP2.  But it still might be relevant
to this problem.  After reading it, I suspect something is causing OE to
lose track of which account to use and automatically defaults to the default
account.

http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#acctwatch

if broken, try: http://tinyurl.com/z5rvj

Don (with gauze pads and bandages waiting)