[optimal] Re: When to remove needle

  • From: "Peterson John C" <JPeterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:10:10 -0500

I can't match Peter or Tom's experience, but here's my take on this in
re: patients having problems.

If I'm injecting through a butterfly needle, and the patient begins to
collapse, the first thing I'm doing is removing the needle. I don't want
a piece of metal in their arm if or when they hit the deck. That, to me,
is a hazard.

If EMTs are needed, they have their own methods of getting a vein. By
that logic, in my opinion it's better to get the needle out and
discarded into the sharps box ASAP.

********
John C. Peterson, BS, CRA
Director of Ophthalmic Photography Services
UW Health Eye Clinic
2880 University Ave., Rm. 246
Madison, WI 53705
(608) 263-7163