[optimal] Re: When to remove needle

  • From: sandor ferenczy <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:45:43 -0400

#1 would be that is what the docs/RNs want. they out rank me, and handle the
emergencies if they arise, so I yield to them.

#2 would be discomfort to patient. a 23g slips out without a notice. why not
pull it out?

we have oral benadryl and epi pens (intramuscular) neither need venous access -
and we have used both. we do have IV benadryl, but have never needed to use it.
EMT response is pretty quick for us, probably under 10 minutes, and like others
have said, our 23 gauge hole tends to be useless for them anyway. as one of my
previous retina docs said (he worked his way
through med school as an EMT) "I've started external jugular caths on dead
people, not a big deal.".

-sandor