[optimal] Re: When to remove needle

  • From: "Eric Kegley" <ekegley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:14:11 -0500

We typically "deneedle" the patient after the early phase of the angiogram,
approx. 1 minute after the start of the injection. I personally have done close
to 60000 FA's without complications in the last 18.5 years. &nbsp;

EK

Eric Kegley, CRA, COA
Retina Consultants of Houston
6560 Fannin St., #750
Houston, TX 77030
Sent from my Palm Pre on AT&amp;T
On Jun 9, 2011 2:46 PM, Peterson John C &lt;JPeterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

v\:* {
        BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)
}
o\:* {
        BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)
}
w\:* {
        BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)
}
.shape {
        BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)
}

@font-face {
        font-family: Wingdings;
}
@font-face {
        font-family: Cambria Math;
}
@font-face {
        font-family: Calibri;
}
@font-face {
        font-family: Tahoma;
}
@page WordSection1 {size: 612.0pt 792.0pt; margin: 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;
}
P.MsoNormal {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman","serif"
}
LI.MsoNormal {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman","serif"
}
DIV.MsoNormal {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman","serif"
}
A:link {
        COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlink {
        COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
A:visited {
        COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {
        COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline; mso-style-priority: 99
}
P.MsoListParagraph {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman","serif"; mso-style-priority: 34
}
LI.MsoListParagraph {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman","serif"; mso-style-priority: 34
}
DIV.MsoListParagraph {
        FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt 36pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Times New
Roman","serif"; mso-style-priority: 34
}
SPAN.EmailStyle17 {
        FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: blue; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY:
"Arial","sans-serif"; TEXT-DECORATION: none; mso-style-type: personal
}
SPAN.EmailStyle18 {
        FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #002060; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY:
"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-style-type: personal-reply
}
.MsoChpDefault {
        FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-style-type: export-only
}
DIV.WordSection1 {
        page: WordSection1
}
OL {
        MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm
}
UL {
        MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0cm
}

You remove&nbsp;a butterfly&nbsp;needle once the syringe is
empty because a butterfly needle is not&nbsp;intended for extended placement.
Two minutes seems&nbsp;not unreasonable.&nbsp;We've had no problems taking it
out right away, and our skittish patients are happy to hear us say "needle's
out!". Flinching has never been an issue

Just my
inflation-adjusted 3 cents....

********
John C. Peterson, BS, CRA
Director of Ophthalmic Photography Services

UW Health Eye Clinic

2880 University Ave., Rm.
246
Madison, WI