[optacon-l] Re: another quirky thing to do with the optacon

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 01:24:01 -0400 (EDT)

Eileen,
The best suggestion I can make is to start with stuff you know. Take
somethintg that you know has clear print and has already been identified
and just try reading. Once you have a few positive experiences with the
Optacon, you'll find yourself motivated to try other things. We have asked
this question on-list and many users have told of the things they read
first to see if they could. Remember that success isn't always reading
every word. For example, a mailing address on an envelope may have a logo.
So don't be distressed if you can't read everything. Also, although we do
not mention it often, adjusting the Optacon to different print sizes,
contrasts, etc. becomes second nature. Let us know if you need information
about the threshold, intensity, zoom, or invert. Also, let us know where
you live. Perhaps there is a fellow user in your area who could work with
you in a more personal way.
Catherine