[optacon-l] Re: another quirky thing to do with the optacon

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 20:55:21 -0500

I disagree.  There are so many eye-candish things on bills and and in junk mail
it can be really frustrating.  Many educators have found the best way to gain
speed in any reading methodology is to have the reader start by reading
somewhat familiar text, or at least in a genre they are interested in.  That
way the layout is consistent, and the user can work on syntactic clues in the
first 2 or 3 letters of the word, thus working on tracking and gaining hand
speed as well as trust in one's perceptions.  The most important thing if you
don't have a trainer is to discipline yourself not to scrub or hover over
something.  Unless you keep the camera moving you'll never gain speed, and play
with intensity to keep your reading finger from tiring out.

Nick