[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:35:38 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> People will talk about being able to conveniently and
> economically get OTA without signing your first born to
> some satellite provider. When those reports continue
> because the manufacturer is making a profit on them with
> happy customers then we will be there.

Sure, I agree with that. The simple fact is, there have been
several examples of ATSC receiver in boxes or PC card format
that have tested well, for example, Bob Miller's apartment,
correct? So it's not like nothing has changed.

The problem is that if these decent devices don't work in
Mark's apartment with the antenna ON TOP of the TV, then
they are suddenly labeled "failed."

The Accurian, which you mentioned as being a success, is
most likely in this same category, along with the ATI and
the LG clones. You would probably call it too a failure, if
it were tested in Mark's apartment, and required window
placement of the antenna.