[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:16:11 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

>> I don't know about NYC, but it would certainly be no big
>> shakes for a store in the Washington area to install an
>> outdoor antenna and feed their display DTVs. In fact, they
>> used to do this at first, in the bad old days of 1st gen
>> receivers.
>
> And they gave it up because later generations of receivers
> were not as good as those first gen ones??

Since you know very well that's not the reason, there must
be another reason.

> Maybe you can explain to me why the US is so different
> than the rest of the world. If both 8-VSB and COFDM
> receivers are the same market wise what makes every country
> that has COFDM and are going bonkers selling COFDM
> receivers so different than us?

That's the question. Your answer to everything is "COFDM,"
but it seems ever more obvious that modulation isn't the issue
at all.

> Why don't you ask LG? They are still happily selling stand
> alone COFDM receivers in OZ while still not selling stand
> alone 8-VSB receivers in the US. They should have all the
> answers.

You asked, right? And they didn't give you any sensible
answer. LG sells 5th gen STBs if they have a DBS receiver
too, but not without DBS. They sell an ATSC-only STB and
also ATSC-only PVR, but not 5th gen.

So by what twist of logic do you conclude that COFDM would
make a difference? If they seem willing to market only
obsolescent products in ATSC-only livery, when they market
their good stuff at large discounts only when associated
with a subscription service, it seems to me that this same
behavior would exist no matter what the modulation scheme.

I'm ever more amazed by your religious zeal.

> Soon?? When exactly are they going to become a commodity?

I can give you an exact date: March 2007.

> I saw an infomercial on cable today selling a 20" or so
> LCD and informing the public at least five times in five
> minutes that this did not have an HD tuner, didn't need
> one because all you have to do is hook it up to cable and
> satellite. Save money they kept saying and don't waste it
> on an OTA tuner. I expect that will become a mantra in
> all retail outlets over the next year or so.

And this proves what, exactly? That they couldn't say
precisely the same thing about COFDM?

Weird.