[opendtv] Re: TV Prices Fall, Squeezing Most Makers and Sellers

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 13:10:14 -0500

 Show me a table that is cheaper than an equivalent iPad.

I got my wife a Kindle Fire for Christmas. Much cheaper than the iPad. And it synchronized with her other Kindle.

Sorry Bert...

I said something that is equivalent to an iPad.

Nothing that Amazon makes is equivalent. The Fire has a smaller screen and offers a small subset of the features of an iPad. And the reviews have been under whelming. The Fire is a nice step up from the e-ink Kindle readers, provides a cheap way to access all of the content in Amazon's "closed" ecosystem, and is subsidized via back end sales to hit this price point.

That said, I'm sure your wife will enjoy it...

My wife loves the Kindle Touch I gave her for her birthday!
 > And speaking of closed shop models, can you explain what is
 different about The Apple iOS ecosystem and the Google Android
 ecosystem, or the Amazon Kindle/content ecosystem?

Not a whole lot of difference. I'm certainly not pushing that business model from anyone. Whether it's MVPDs, Apple, or anyone else trying to wall themselves in.

To be fair these eco-system's are far more open than the media conglomerate/multi-channel oligopolies. There are Kindle apps for both Android and iOS. Everyone supports Netflix and at least some of the streaming services like You-Tube, Hulu Plus, Sirius/XM etc.

 And while you are at it, please explain how Microsoft and Intel
 have been able to take the lion's share of profits from the PC
 industry for more than two decades...

That one is easy. It's because they are open. In fact, Intel is not by any means the only CPU available for PCs. Do you see Microsoft preventing AMD from participating? Or, do you see Intel or AMD preventing you from running Linux?

Open, Craig.

If you say so Bert.  More like open you wallets...