[opendtv] Re: TV Prices Fall, Squeezing Most Makers and Sellers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 15:52:32 -0600

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> I also saw traffics jams where a lot of cars are BMW's, Mercedes
> sold for 3x times the price in US because of China tariffs.

Perhaps, but those cars were not being driven by factory workers. Factory
workers live in dormitories, close to work, and don't use private
transportation. We used to be that way too, but I doubt you'll find too many
wanting to return to that lifestyle.

I think of this global macroeconomics problem a bit like water flowing over
uneven terrain. The low-lying areas are filled first, before the water level
can begin to become even. Jobs will naturally flow to wherever it is cheapest
for each job type to be done, before it becomes competitive again to have those
jobs in the "higher level terrain."

And of course, China will go through the same evolution, as their standard of
living skyrockets, manufacturing so many of the products used elsewhere in the
world.