[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:55:25 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> How many analog VCRs came with dual tuners so you could watch
> while recording?

Not any that I know of, but then again, these new Panasonics don't
either. At least, not as far as their description goes. They do allow
simultaneous record and playback of a single program, though, much like
PVRs. Their analog predecessors did too, which you can confirm at the
Panasonic web site. So you can interrupt a live program and continue
viewing minutes later, with no gap.

> One could argue that the receivers had a tuner, but you can now
> make the same argument for most digital receivers. The Panasonic
> product may be aimed at folks like me that have HD monitors; if
> I wanted to have the equivalent to the HD cable DVR I have now,
> using only off-air signals, two tuners would be a great feature.

No two tuners, but they do seem to have a QAM tuner for digital cable.
That's why he says:

"Basically, we felt it was important for all Panasonic DVD and combo
recorders to continue to offer record-and-watch, and cable-box-free
recording capability."

He implies that some sets in the house might still be connected to
cable, but without the cable STB.

I didn't see these new digital DVDRs described at the Panasonic web
site. Maybe I just didn't search hard enough.

These DVDRs with built-in digital tuners remind me of the ancient TV ad,
"Aunt Gemima, what took you so long?" I've been looking for these for
years. If it weren't for the FCC, they might never have arrived.