[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:17:54 -0400

Ron Economos wrote:

>> My only question would be why the above quoted point
>> even needs to be made. Shouldn't it be obvious? If
>> they felt it important to offer the NTSC receiver
>> built-in previously, why is it necessary to justify
>> that digital doesn't change the fundamental equation?

> They are saying they haven't taken the "short-cut" of
> introducing *tunerless* recorders like some of the
> other manufacurers have.

Oh, I got that much, Ron. But this is part of my long-term tirade.

Those doing the explaining should be the ones who delete the built-in
receiver. Who is lining their pockets for doing away with a feature they
always provided in the analog era (built-in tuning capability for cable
and OTA in all analog DVDRs)?

The fact that Panasonic includes the digital tuner, ATSC and QAM, should
be a given. One only wonders why it took an FCC mandate to make this
happen. A full 8 1/3 years after the digital transition began, and a
full 4 years after truly viable ATSC receivers have been available in
miniaturized form. Did they wait long enough or what?