[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:46:07 -0400

Frank Eory wrote:

> I would agree, Bert, that all TV *recorders* should incorporate
> their own receiver, but why does the display have to have one?
> Even when the display has it's own tuner, many consumers won't
> use it simply because it doesn't "fit" their usage model of their
> overall home theater system. Once a consumer has taken the plunge
> into DVR wonderland, he never ever wants to watch "live" TV again
> -- at least not live TV that can't be paused, rewinded or
> recorded with a couple of button clicks on the remote.

Frank, this is mostly a philosopical issue. I think the receiver
built-in is cheap enough that most consumers want it. Having the
receiver built-in allows each consumer complete flexibility in how they
configure their home entertainment system, unencumbered by deliberately
induced inadequacy of equipment.

> If the DVR is a separate component from the display, the DVR
> becomes the focal point of all channel tuning -- not the TV set.
> Yes, some HDTVs have built-in DVR functionality, but then of
> course they are no longer just displays, and consumers who buy
> that type of integrated product have a different usage model
> than the typical home theater household in which the display is
> just one of several A/V components.

Problem is, no DVR can fill this role. So this system design ends up
becoming a big nuisance.

We already have multiple signal sources for a typical home entertainment
system. We have radio tuners, DVD players/recoders, possibly VCRs,
possibly LP players, possibly game consoles, and finally possibly a DVR.
It's not realistic to expect the DVR to act as a single source device.
It just ain't going to do the whole job, unless people are happy to let
DVR designers limit their options.

It's instead very intuitive to turn on the appropriate source device for
each occasion. When watching live TV, it's just as logical to *not* have
to turn on unnecessary devices. I can tell you that my wife thinks so,
loud and clear.