[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:45:52 -0400

At 4:46 PM -0400 3/28/07, Manfredi, Albert E responded to Frank Eory
 > If the DVR is a separate component from the display, the DVR
 becomes the focal point of all channel tuning -- not the TV set.
 Yes, some HDTVs have built-in DVR functionality, but then of
 course they are no longer just displays, and consumers who buy
 that type of integrated product have a different usage model
 than the typical home theater household in which the display is
 just one of several A/V components.

Problem is, no DVR can fill this role. So this system design ends up
becoming a big nuisance.

We already have multiple signal sources for a typical home entertainment
system. We have radio tuners, DVD players/recoders, possibly VCRs,
possibly LP players, possibly game consoles, and finally possibly a DVR.
It's not realistic to expect the DVR to act as a single source device.
It just ain't going to do the whole job, unless people are happy to let
DVR designers limit their options.

Bert

Looks like once again, you missed the point being made completely.

There is no question about the need to hook up a display to multiple sources as you have described. But most consumers want and use ONE COMPONENT to tune to the RF signals coming into the home. Have you noticed the posts talking about the ability to integrate OFF-AIR DTV tuning with DBS and cable boxes. What the consumer wants is to enter a number and get to any channel, or to use an integrated guide to assist in channel and DVR recording selections.

Having to switch inputs to the display to get to different channels is a pain in the ass.

I'll go a step further, and predict that the company that can integrate ALL of the components that are connected to a display in a seamless fashion is going to be very successful. This includes simple selections for any device and automatic adjustments for display input, display source format, and audio format including level adjustment. My DLP display has four devices connected at the moment:

1. HD cable STB with DVR using analog component port
2. Progressive scan (output) S-VHS recorder using S-video port
3. Progressive scan DVD player using analog component port
4. Nintendo Wi using AV port ( I have a component cable but only two component inputs).

The proliferation of remotes, differences in audio output levels and need to change display inputs is the biggest hassle with this system. I could h9ook up the internal analog cable tuner, but why bother? The cable box gives me two tuners, DVR functionality and PIP.