[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 08:14:37 -0400

Thanks Ron!

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a cable card slot. This may make it difficult to use the QAM tuner, as almost all cable systems are encrypting their digital tiers, except for the OTA channels.

At 1:47 PM -0800 3/26/07, Ron Economos wrote:
They do have QAM tuners. Links to operator manuals:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREZ17.PDF

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREZ27-SPA.PDF

Ron

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At 10:45 AM -0400 3/26/07, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

My only question would be why the above quoted point even needs to be
made. Shouldn't it be obvious? If they felt it important to offer the
NTSC receiver built-in previously, why is it necessary to justify that
digital doesn't change the fundamental equation?

How many analog VCRs came with dual tuners so you could watch while recording?

One could argue that the receivers had a tuner, but you can now make the same argument for most digital receivers. The Panasonic product may be aimed at folks like me that have HD monitors; if I wanted to have the equivalent to the HD cable DVR I have now, using only off-air signals, two tuners would be a great feature. The same would be true for cable subscribers, IF these DVD recorders have a digital cable tuner as well as the ATSC tuners. i could not find any mention of digital cable tuning capabilities in a quick search of the Panasonic web site.