[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:04:04 -0400

I think you missed my point. With a tuner in a standard analog VCR, a tuner in the analog TV, and the TV/VCR button switched to TV you could always watch one program while recording another. This would also work in the digital world with an antenna pass-thru (or splitter). The only real difference is a possibly lowered expectation of having the 2nd tuner actually be in your TV.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 6:43 PM -0400 3/26/07, Tom Barry wrote:

 > How many analog VCRs came with dual tuners so you could watch while

 recording?

Not dual tuner but they all have a TV/VCR button so you can watch while recording. Of course this is based upon the expectation your TV has the other tuner.

- Tom

Watch while recording has always been possible with single tuner devices - this is not a big deal. Watching one program while recording another is what people want, and this requires dual tuners.

Perhaps the Panasonic DVD-Rs allow you to use the analog tuner to watch one thing while the digital tuner records another, or visa versa?

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx