[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:36:42 -0400

Frank Eory wrote:

> Yeah, I also wondered what the heck Bert was talking about, especially
> the part about "When watching live TV, it's just as logical to *not*
> have to turn on unnecessary devices. I can tell you that my wife
> thinks so, loud and clear."
>
> It's not about how many devices you have to turn on, it's about how
> many buttons you have to push to watch what you want.

I think others have answered that very well. How many buttons you have
to push is only a function of how good your remote control is. But how
many BOXES you have to have is another issue, and that's what I was
addressing. And the idea that someone would want to create a single
bottleneck for tuning just sounds wrong. (I am dealing with that now,
temporarily, as long as I have to rely on STBs for viewing and
recording.)

I've said this other times: not everyone wants to have a multi-component
TV system, just as not everyone wants to have a multi-component audio
system. That's why boxes like AVRs exist. Why don't you ask AVR
manufacturers to quit including a radio tuner in their preamp-amp
combination box? The radio tuner is easy to incorporate, so they do.
Some manufacturers combine preamps and tuners for audio systems, leaving
the amp as a separate box. That too makes a lot of sense.

I never use the TV set's audio amp or speakers, yet I understand that
many other people do. So do I begrudge the fact that TV sets or even
some monitors incorporate (inadequate) audio systems? No, because it
permits flexibility.

> Bert seems to be stuck on the notion that the video display is also
> the control center of the home theater.

Frank and Craig are stuck on the notion that their own multi-component
video systems are what everyone should own. Most people don't. If CE
manufacturers to pretend otherwise, especially after DTV becomes the
norm for TVs, they would just annoy the majority of TV users. Or limit
what they can do easily.

The smaller and cheaper the TV, the more important it is to make it
stand alone. The bigger and more expensive it is, the less of a burden a
built-in receiver becomes.

> It makes no difference how well the digital modulation works. The
> fact that the tuner is physically located in the wrong box makes
> it a huge pain to use.

Use the one(s) that make the most sense for your system setup. Do you
think I care that my TVs have built in audio systems? I just ignore
them.