[opendtv] Re: Panasonic's DVD recorders include ATSC tuners

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:43:00 -0400

> How many analog VCRs came with dual tuners so you could watch while
> recording?

Not dual tuner but they all have a TV/VCR button so you can watch while recording. Of course this is based upon the expectation your TV has the other tuner.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 10:45 AM -0400 3/26/07, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

My only question would be why the above quoted point even needs to be
made. Shouldn't it be obvious? If they felt it important to offer the
NTSC receiver built-in previously, why is it necessary to justify that
digital doesn't change the fundamental equation?

How many analog VCRs came with dual tuners so you could watch while recording?

One could argue that the receivers had a tuner, but you can now make the same argument for most digital receivers. The Panasonic product may be aimed at folks like me that have HD monitors; if I wanted to have the equivalent to the HD cable DVR I have now, using only off-air signals, two tuners would be a great feature. The same would be true for cable subscribers, IF these DVD recorders have a digital cable tuner as well as the ATSC tuners. i could not find any mention of digital cable tuning capabilities in a quick search of the Panasonic web site.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx