[opendtv] Re: News: The Internet revolution is about to be televised

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:59:13 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

John wrote:

> > > So we end up with a VPN to each house, no real
> > > interconnect between neighbors until we get fairly
> > > high up the distribution tree in the network.  This
> > > negates the localization effect of a neighborhood
> > > PTP network and the advantage of that approach.
> >
> > It also looks much more like a cable network. And
> > it's more compatible with a PON cable plant.
>
> Wrong. It does NOT look like a cable network.

Wrong again, Craig. It looks more like a cable net
because in order to route packets between neighbors, you
need to travel up the MPLS path toward the center of
the network (aka head end), rather than just switch at
a neighborhood node. Just like cable.

And by the way, PONs would drive you to that solution
anyway, because they are deployed specifically to avoid
having active electronics distributed throughout the
network. Which means, neighbors are fed with a wide
band pipe, similar to the coax from a cable's HFC
plant, and must then filter based on frame headers.
And once again, in order to get a packet from your
hoiuse to your neighbor's, that packet will have to
travel upo the PON to the switch or router, rather
than simply go from the curb back to the neighbor's
house.

So if the IPTV net is built over a PON, it will
have even more reason to look more like a cable net
than like a switched Ethernet mesh.

> Cable has evolved the way it has because they have
> spent hundreds of billions building the plant and
> upgrading it. IPTV plants have the opportunity to take
> a different approach.

And where it's feasible in practice, they will. The
simple fact is, what real world IPTV nets end up being
more similar to cable plants than to your notion of
TV over the public Internet. Whether for reasons of
security, QoS concerns, or the nature of the cable
plant itself.

> To be successful the IPTV crowd must provide the
> infrastructure to bypass the multi-channel
> gatekeepers.

So for example, IPTV nets will simply become another
multichannel gate keeper. This is the reality, not
the fantasy. Context is everything. Better re-read
Doc's post, Craig.