[opendtv] Re: News: The Internet revolution is about to be televised

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <smacedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:11:27 -0500

> problems McClenny points out below (overloading central servers with
> 100's of "a la carte" users) may be solved with more IT like
> solutions, like peer to peer islands on the edges of the networks.

The usual scenario is that the edge always has the most bandwidth. Its your
areas north of
the edge that can be bandwidth challenged.

> In a p2p solution, like for example IBM P2G Media Broadcast
> (www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/p2g), the more users want a piece of
> content (or channel?), the more capacity will be available for it -
> although, near online with a delay.

It doesn't appear to offer any advantage when the peers and edge server are all
at the edge.
The edge server feeds one and only one client, and that client then branches
via virtual layers
to peer groups, all using unicast. IP multicast is more effective in this
situation.

> personalized "broadcatching"
> (www.engadget.com/entry/1234000167021291/) during off-peak network
> times, for watching whenever it suits the viewer - or even a full
> personalized channel based on something like a playlist.

I've seen one such box that does exactly this, but its problem was that it
exposed the notion
of 'downloading' and 'queues' to the user. Other than that, yes and no. Content
providers
prefer walled gardens, and so do CA companies. Also, RSS isn't designed for
carrying 'real'
broadcast data (how do you carry keys in an RSS feed) or handling billing (how
do you figure
out how/where/when to bill someone if the feeds are from diverse sources, and
how do you
securely automate this process). Its a nice first try though, but the modern
equivalent of a
wooden coach wheel.

> If the content is encrypted or not (ie: freenet.sourceforge.net), if
> devices have DRM technology or not, those are second-order issues.
> Once the bandwidth is there, IP and good software will do it.

Freenet is an anonimity service - so you can pirate movies without fear of
being traced. What
does that have to do with DRM? :-)

> In my opinion, the switch from cable to IPTV will not go very far if
> IPTV simply tries to replicate the cable/channel/one-for-all model on
> IP. Actually, I believe both solutions will coexist for a looong time,
> each exploiting its profitable market.

I believe if these technologies that are out there in their infancy now
continue to be
promoted for illegal downloading (the Engadget article is priceless -
screenshots of Battlestar
galactica divx'd episodes, clearly illegal), then the motion picture industry
will continue to
push away from them, no matter what advantages they hold.

Cheers
Kon