[opendtv] Re: News: The Internet revolution is about to be televised

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 20:00:35 -0500

Many of us now using PVR's will start the program recording and then
begin watching it 10-15 minutes later, generating 'Tivo slack'.  When
watching the program it is possible we reach the end of the recording
segment and drop into 'real time' where we can no long fast forward
through commercials.  At that point I often pause it and switch over to
web browsing for a few minutes, generating more slack.

The reason I mention this here is the exact same process could easily
apply to watching PVR-TV on the web.  No QOS guarantees would be needed
so the process would be much more like a download than streaming.  And
we are getting trained to do the same thing with our PVR's.  So folks
could start a download into their PVR software and then begin watching
it some minutes later.  Automatically pause and show the progress bar if
you reach the end of the current segment.

It's Internet, not TV, but not really much different than Tivo'ing.  And
  having a little slop in the real time download means you could
multicast to many people at a time even if they were not watching
exactly the same  segment of the show at the same time.  It would
probably be much more bandwidth efficient than VOD.

- Tom