[opendtv] Re: News: Leno Will Stay At NBC In Prime Time

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:58:25 -0800

Well, you really seem to have not only a problem understanding reality, but
what other people write, and you engage in narrowing down your absurd
arguments and act as if I haven't eviscerated the thrust of your
positions/questions, as if you actually had positions.

I asked for you to give the second example of a network "moving" sports
content from over the air to a cable network also owned by the same company.
YOU GAVE NOTHING.

PLEASE, GIVE ME THE SECOND CASE WHERE SPORTS CONTENT MOVED FROM BROADCAST
TELEVISION TO CABLE.  I'll even overlook your false meme that averred that
"content owners" were doing this, when the sports leagues don't own
broadcast networks.

I pointed out that SPORTS is the "prime content" on network television.  You
seemed to have the position that networks owned sports content, even though
I pointed out that they merely license the content for a single airing -- a
live one, in virtually all cases.

There hasn't been a hit new television show in the 10 p.m. time slot for
years.  Sports events are generally the highest-rated television programming
week in and week out.

I asked you if you were "also" interested in repealing the laws of
economics.  Do you think that content owners should be prevented from
seeking the highest and best (most lucrative) uses of the content they own?

On the other hand, how have networks fared with their owned "created" sports
content?  Watched much Arena Football on NBC recently?  You could have
picked up on the poker thing, but I notice that it isn't a sport, and have
you noted that it started out on cable, thence some airings on broadcast
television.  Note, that if you consider poker to be a sport, this is
contrary to your "position."

Tom, I will blister not only your absurd parries, but the very basis from
which you launch them. The economics of media distribution are changing.
You think that somebody should stop that.  It's an absurd notion: nobody can
force anybody to produce or distribute television programming (aside from
contracts), and certainly nobody can be forced -- even at gunpoint -- to
create hits.

To me, the real question here is whether Law & Order: SVU is appropriate --
particularly this week's episode -- for airing at 9:00 p.m.
Eastern/Central/Pacific, 8:00 p.m. Mountain.

There are all sorts of interesting and even alarming upshots from the Leno
decision; they include

1) what competitors will do
2)      the viability of NBC as a true broadcast network
3)      whether NBC has given up on dramatic shows
4)      the appropriateness of NBC's current 10 p.m. offerings earlier in
the night, or whether they will be renewed, even hits
5)      whether Leno at 10 p.m. will come and go like "Who Wants To Be A
Millionaire" and leave NBC in a worse position competitively than it --
number 4 -- is in now
6)      How Leno at 10 p.m. will affect the ratings/competitive position of
the Tonight Show with Conan Obrien
7)      Why the Leno show is (and most likely will in the new position be)
unfunny
8)      How/if the show will cause viewership to taper off a la the Tonight
Show, leaving the affiliates local news offerings in a bad position
competively

It seems that your prattle misses all of the above.  You seem to live in a
small fantasy world, where -- among other features -- more pixels doesn't
mean more power consumption.

John Willkie

P.S. Prove your points or admit defeat; don't engage in serial obfuscation.