[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:16:01 -0500

At 11:04 AM -0500 12/16/06, Steve Wilson wrote:
does anyone known whether signal reception at customer premises was a big problem for them.

USDTV is in four markets, all of which have virtually ideal reception characteristics. Three, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and Albuquerque, have transmitters on mountain tops beaming down upon the city. I know in Salt Lake City that there were many areas where reception was problematic. They used to have detailed maps on the website showing these pockets - now they just show the general contours and you must enter a zip code to see if you are in a good reception area. The fourth market is Dallas, which has always had good reception due to the flatland nature of the market.

Even with this there have been reports of sites where service could not be established, most likely due to localized multipath issues.