[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 12:22:12 -0500

At 8:52 AM -0800 12/16/06, Kon Wilms wrote:
I'd just add my 2c that every single one of our IP delivery (which includes MPEG2 encapsulation) customers and just about everyone we deal with wants H.264. To me it seems that there is no need to even list H.264 rollouts or prove anything in terms of bandwidth savings or PQ. People come up at NAB and other shows and ask directly for it - even the little guy with a dozen settops doing corporate training. I would say that if you are a company dealing with video delivery or encoding and are not looking at H.264 then you are basically toast at this stage.

What *does* interest me though are the rollouts of VC1. Is it gaining traction with broadcasters and non-web-streaming operators? By traction I mean smaller operators and deals not in-part or -whole financed by Microsoft.

I see no evidence of traction in broadcast applications, or in cable/DBS. The web seems to be the center of their universe, and now HD-DVD for some titles.

I was watching a Blu-Ray demo this morning at Sears. The quality was excellent on a 40 inch Sony display, however, at normal viewing distances standard DVD does just as good a job. Looks to me like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will primarily appeal to "enthusiasts," and those with screen sizes larger than 60 inch.

Also had some fun with a customer who was buying a big screen TV. He was pointing out compression artifacts to his wife, claiming them to be a problem with LCD displays; he also mentioned that the LCD displays have some motion portrayal issues. They bought a plasma display.