[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:49:42 -0500

Dermot Nolan wrote:
Hi boys, girls and lurkers (myself mostly nowadays....)
And just as I was thinking how anyone can keep up with comments here. I am a lurker too.....there is knowledge to be gleened amongst the banter
I don't mean to be rotten BUT I don't have a problem here.The debate on opendtv about ATSC/8VSB/COFDM etc is largely sterile and conducted by the same few protagonists with the same predictable vituperative exchanges (JW, BM, BM etc increasingly nasty, immature and silly to each other). And it is so f*************ing boring.
Boring if you lived it. Interesting if you haven't, at least to me. Crystallizing the issues and positions - is a challenge - someone must have done this somewhere. If I tried to, I would guaranteed to raise someones fur...

ATSC has lost commercially, strategically and technically. Nobody is interested
in buying ATSC STBs in the US, outside the US (pace Canada, Mexico which are
border states to the US), the business model has failed, and we will probably
see NTSC carry on for many a long day. Elsewhere the plethora of COFDM systems
(DVB-T, ISDB-T, T-DMB, DAB-IP. DVB-H, MediaFLO (carrying on the US tradition of
pioneering OFDM), etc are doing very nicely...
It seems clear, yes. However, there are so many successful factors that make a successful business, and I would say that its been shown many times over that underlying technology is not such a key factor. It seems quite clear the selection of 8VSB has been unhelpful in making OTA TV more available. If in the long term that proves wrong, Qualcomms efforts will pay huge dividends to them.

While Europe is ahead with DVB, I dont see that there is any plan for HD OTA service - possibly its just that DVB can support it - as demonstrated by the UK trials - and its a matter of making spectrum available.
It is clear, in spades, apart from to the usual Don Quixote windmill tilters on
opendtv that ATSC/8VSB/the current US DTV business model is now the perfect
trainwreck. And so completely over commercially.

The real issues for a viable OTA DTV service are:

a) Compelling content
b) Systems which work out of the box rather than engineering trainsets which
might or might not work in the indeterminate future
c) Business models with consumer appeal. These tend to be free.
d) Comprehensive differentiation from cable + DBS through unique leverage of
OTA distribution. That means no rotors, portable, mobile etc...

Outside the US this has been achieved in spades in many countries. The evidence
is overwhelming and the common component is, quite naturally, xOFDM.  Of course
there are some who will never learn until the NTSC customer is cutoff in his
prime.

Kind Regards and compliments of the season,

Dermot Nolan

the dn watching H264 HDTV DVB-T on his laptop for $100 with 28dB SNR in a
heavily multipathed area...
d)
Quite jealous, I am .... but is it free OTA or do you pay for a service. I am only aware of the free BBC HD channel on Sky and I didnt think Freeview had HD programming.
Dermot Nolan Director TBS DL: + 44 (0)20 7286 5570 Mobile:+ 44 (0)7973 211703 Email:dermot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx