[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 08:52:41 -0800

I'd just add my 2c that every single one of our IP delivery (which includes
MPEG2 encapsulation) customers and just about everyone we deal with wants
H.264. To me it seems that there is no need to even list H.264 rollouts or
prove anything in terms of bandwidth savings or PQ. People come up at NAB
and other shows and ask directly for it - even the little guy with a dozen
settops doing corporate training. I would say that if you are a company
dealing with video delivery or encoding and are not looking at H.264 then
you are basically toast at this stage.

What *does* interest me though are the rollouts of VC1. Is it gaining
traction with broadcasters and non-web-streaming operators? By traction I
mean smaller operators and deals not in-part or -whole financed by
Microsoft.

Cheers
Kon