[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:58:24 -0500

Hughes Gary-DJWV76 wrote:
I wasn't trying to start a codec war, merely trying to clarify an ambiguous statement and hopefully get some hard data on what Vongo is really doing.

Understood....me too.  Here is a blurb.  I think its safe to assume its VC1.
A movie is about 1GB.  The quality looks fine on my laptop, but I am not an expert.
http://www.forrester.com/Research/Document/Excerpt/0,7211,38665,00.html
Starz Entertainment Group has announced Vongo, a new online movie downloading and streaming service. Starz uses Microsoft's digital media software to bring 1,000 movies online. Why did Starz choose Microsoft over Apple? Two reasons: 1) Apple won't license its technology, and 2) Microsoft has invested $1 billion to make it easy for Starz to bring all of its movies online for a small monthly fee. Microsoft will attract other media partners looking for new business models in 2006 and thus begin its inexorable march to digital media technology dominance.
H.264 and VC1 are different video codecs. Both set out to tackle a similar problem space, but they are very different in detail and syntax. Neither is a subset or superset of the other
Neither specifies a file format, although there are related standards that do (MPEG-4 parts 12 and 15 for H.264 in an MPEG environment, ASF for VC1 in a WMV environment).

Neither specifies a streaming format. Both can be carried in MPEG transport streams, for example.

Neither specifies a DRM system. I don't know of any DRM system that is tied to a specific video codec, but I don't claim to be an expert on DRM. Obviously the MS DRM can be applied to WMV9 content, but it is also being used, for example, on H.264 content carried in MPEG transport.

Good point....same with ASF

This may seem like trifling detail, but it is the difference between working and not working in my business.
I like detail :-)  Doubly understood.

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect, Advanced Engineering
Motorola On Demand Solutions, MA34
80 Central St.
Boxborough, MA  01719
Email: ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Wilson
Vongo is also H.264 (Windows VC1 actually)

So which is it? They are not the same thing.

I didn't mean to debate 264 vs VC1.  VC1 is based on the 264 tools as far as my understanding goes....they may have their own video codec swizzle - I dont know.   I use 264 to generically describe the video codec and VC1 to mean Microsofts version which is accurate I think.

The didnt tell me directly, but I have gleened from investigating that their video is H264 codec and Windows DRM - from their I leaped to VC1.

I am interested to understand how 264 and VC1 are different beyond DRM, audio and file format that VC1 specifies.
We're seeing a lot of pull for H.264 from the telco/IPTV side.
Originally I think the motivator was the ability to send 2 or more
entertainment quality SD streams down one xDSL line. Now it has become
part of the zeitgeist. Like whats-her-name says on the DirecTV HD ad, "I
totally don't know what that means, but I want it".

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.