[opendtv] Re: PAL; 405 line pictures

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:53:51 -0800

flyback wrote:

> In 1984, I had the opportunity to take a technical tour of BBC
> Television Center in Shepherd's Bush
> and while in London for the week, watch a bit of British TV.
>
> All I could think of was that their consumer TV sets, tuned to over the
> air broadcasts, produced better
> looking pictures overall than the NTSC studio monitors I was used to
> watching at work.

I agree (and have also witnessed it) that a good TV set in England, using
625 scan lines per frame and 8 MHz of bandwidth, can produce a very
noticeably better image than the best studio monitors for the U.S. system's
525 scan line and 6 MHz of bandwidth.

If I recall correctly, my original posting suggested that the PAL countries
superior picture quality was much more about these basic differences than it
is about the use of the PAL color system.
Example: in the U.S. system there is only about 3 MHz of space available for
luminance video after insertion of the color picture subcarrier, while in
Europe there is about 5 MHz available for video, which is *very*
significant. To this, add the additional 100 scan lines per frame and there
is simply no contest.

I know you are aware of these facts but some others on the reflector do have
our frames of reference....though these days I have my own version of
differential phase distortion shifting the hues of my memory.

Dale