[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:07:31 -0500

Hughes Gary-DJWV76 wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Wilson
Vongo is also H.264 (Windows VC1 actually)

So which is it? They are not the same thing.

I didn't mean to debate 264 vs VC1.  VC1 is based on the 264 tools as far as my understanding goes....they may have their own video codec swizzle - I dont know.   I use 264 to generically describe the video codec and VC1 to mean Microsofts version which is accurate I think.

The didnt tell me directly, but I have gleened from investigating that their video is H264 codec and Windows DRM - from their I leaped to VC1.

I am interested to understand how 264 and VC1 are different beyond DRM, audio and file format that VC1 specifies.
We're seeing a lot of pull for H.264 from the telco/IPTV side.
Originally I think the motivator was the ability to send 2 or more
entertainment quality SD streams down one xDSL line. Now it has become
part of the zeitgeist. Like whats-her-name says on the DirecTV HD ad, "I
totally don't know what that means, but I want it".

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect, Advanced Engineering
Motorola On Demand Solutions, MA34
80 Central St.
Boxborough, MA  01719
Email: ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Office: 978 266 7269

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.