[opendtv] Re: Chip makers venture into portable HD H.264 market

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:22:54 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Read it again, Bert. Codec demand from Japanese and South
> Korean consumer electronics manufacturers, not Japanese
> and South Korean consumers.

This is what I was referring to, John. What about this is different from
what Euro or US manufacturers (or consumers) would want. Are Euro or US
manufacturers (and consumers) *not* interested in H.264 real-time
encoding for portable appliances or for PVRs? Why not? Wouldn't HDTV
PVRs benefit from more efficient use of their hard drive space?

"The Ambarella and Fujitsu chips play to the requirements of Japanese
and South Korean consumer electronics manufacturers, whose priorities
and system design objectives for H.264 devices diverge from those of
their U.S. and European counterparts.

"For example, Fujitsu's Yoshida touted the MB86H50's 'low-power
operation' and 'smaller footprint.' Like Ambarella, Fujitsu is pitching
its H.264 chip for small consumer products, including digital still
cameras, portable media devices and personal video recorders (PVRs)."