[opendtv] H.264 for SDTV

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:10:05 -0500

Barry Wilkins wrote:

Regarding H.264 for HDTV via DVB-T, I understand that TVNZ
(New Zealand) are about to utilize MPEG4 on our soon to be
established DTTV platform for (presumably more channels of)
SDTV via DVB-T in the new year. What other countries are
utilizing MPEG4/H.264 for SDTV right now?

None that I know of, assuming you're talking about SDTV OTA. But anyone starting today with a clean sheet of paper, as NZ is doing, IMO should make all receivers compatible with both H.262 and H.264, and SD and HD bit streams. Why not? The cost of doing so today is not high anymore.

And everyone with existing systems has to deal with the legacy problem.

And H.264 systems will also have to deal with their own legacy problem, no doubt, in a few years.

Happy Christmas folks.

You too, Barry.