[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 07:36:43 -0500

At 6:51 PM -0500 3/31/05, John Shutt wrote:
>Ron,
>
>You're right.  They know what plasma displays are.  They know what HDTV is.
>They have bought over 17 million "DTV Displays".  Yet the manufacturers
>don't advertise ATSC receivers, so there is no knowledge of them..  Go into
>Best Buy or Circuit City.  There are no ATSC receivers on the shelves.  Go
>to their websites and look for them.  Best Buy's web site has one HD DirecTV
>receiver with a built in ATSC tuner.  That's it.

People spending upwards of $2,000 for a TV are "generally" not
stupid.  I have spoken with many of them in stores. They understand
what broadcasters have to offer, and because of this most have moved
on. To date (commercial) broadcasters have done NOTHING to promote
the new service and to take advantage of it to provide a better
television service. PBS is actually offering something useful in
their DTV multiplex; apparently this was interesting enough that PBS
has been able to negotiate cable carriage of the entire multiplex.
It's amazing what can happen when a broadcaster is actually trying to
build an audience for a new service.

>The manufacturers, of which there appears to be fewer and fewer, are not
>advertising them for sale.  Should they be surprised there is no demand for
>them, or are their R&D labs telling them something else?

No surprises here. When you combine the limited demand for ATSC
receivers with the statistically significant reality that there will
be a high rate of product returns, you get the current results. Whan
you add the fact that broadcast competitors are using HDTV to attract
or keep their most profitable subscribers, there is little incentive
left to promote ATSC products.