[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:31:32 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> Let me get this straight.   Both COFDM and VSB need very
> high performance tuners.  The cost of a high quality
> tuner is too expensive for LG to manufacture an ATSC STB
> for the US market of over 100 million TVHHs, but LG can
> manufacture an HD DVB STB for the 7 million TVHH
> Australian market?
>
> http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=3D2785
>
> Something is wrong with either yours or LG's logic.  My
> bet is that the quality of tuner required for COFDM is
> not the same as that required by an equally well
> performing ATSC box.

John, you seem to go into these dicussions already knowing
the answer you want to hear.

Ben Webber is likely right on the money. It's simply the
demand. The UK, and possibly Australia, are OTA countries.
Therefore, demand for OTA STBs was more or less guaranteed.
Germany and the US are not OTA cultures, therefore demand
for STBs only follows govt mandates.

It's perfectly logical. Didn't they say specifically that
a date certain was needed to achieve those low prices?

Plus, transmitters scattered about pose a more difficult
reception problem than transmitters co-located at one
site.

What you should be wondering, as a broadcaster, in my
humble opinion, is whether or not a scheme that is
receivable indoors with rabbit ears, from ~45 miles away,
all UHF channels by the way, is not somehow worth pursuing.
Jay's brother, in Sterling, is 44.4 miles from Baltimore
TV towers and 52.2 miles from the Hagerstown towers,
according to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Seems to me that if you can get "perfect" reception with
ATSC, using indoor antennas, in situations where NTSC
requires a large log periodic high off the ground, a
broadcaster would be thrilled. For me to receive Baltimore
and Annapolis, NTSC, I need to use the large outdoor
antenna. The Radio Shack double bowtie upstairs, in the
"correct" side of the house, doesn't quite hack it. The
Baltimore and Annapolis channels are unwatchable upstairs.
And that's 46.6 miles from the Baltimore towers.

Every solution has its advantages.